Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

Summer-y

I constantly feel like I have so much to blog about but as of late little time for it.  We made a conscious choice to be busier this summer (the t-ball, the swim league, Josh having a summer job . . .) and consequently it has made us busier. ;o) I still have plans for our grand summer bucket list--just have to make it. *ahem* But we are mentally checking things off right now. Maybe sometime this weekend I'll work on that.  In the meantime little happy glimpses about our home:
 Couch pillows that I sewed and have been meaning to share for awhile--keeping the nearly 10 year-old shoddily slip-covered couch limping along just a bit longer.  New couch purchase sometime in the next year I hope?  ;o) Boy has this couch seen some L.I.F.E.
~
 Summer reading program underway.  Jackson LOVES Frog and Toad--like he ASKS if he can read to me!!  Lucky for him we have a whole stack of Arnold Lobel books to make it through.  And we count them as chapter books, since they do have chapters . . . albeit short ones. ;o)
~
 First flowers blooming outside--"Cerise Queen" yarrow that I started from seed last year and transplanted this year.  It's kind of like free plants!
~
 Afternoon snack of strawberry shortcake using a recipe for "Biscones" as the shortcakes.  Biscones are technically a scone, but "plopped" (like a biscuit) instead of cut.  Hence bis+scone. ;o) Although, come to think of it I've seen some biscuits that are cut as well. The recipe was wonderful--so flaky and yummy!  Perfect with some hot tea . . . (If you want the recipe let me know--it came from that Back in the Day cookbook and I don't want to violate any copyrights putting it on my blog).
~
 Reading together--this book has been checked out from the library several times now:
(not-linked because it is an old one and no image was available)
See if your library has a copy--the kids love looking at all the amazing and intricate illustrations--from my 3 year old to my 11 year old!
~
A front door shoe basket--saving my sanity and allowing us access into our house.;o)  My mom found an old laundry basket that belonged to my Grandma and asked if I wanted it.  I had just the use for it!  And I love that it used to be my Grandma's and can just picture her at her clothesline with it.  Happy stuff. 

4 comments:

sarah j. said...

i'm going to have to check out that book. i think Isaac would love it!

Anna said...

Hooray for summer reading! That book looks really cool...and love the fresh & mod pillows and the lovely flower close-up. Looks like a fun week...enjoy your full summer! :)

Kathryn said...

Delightful---strawberries, sentimental baskets, reading, cute little pillows. You are making your house a home and it is a joy to see!

Brooke said...

Isn't it amazing what new pillow covers can do to your outlook? :-) Frog and Toad is always fabulous. And thank you for making my mouth water, that shortcake looks divine.