Pages

Friday, May 17, 2013

Favorite Things (on a Friday)

It's been awhile since I did a "these are a few of my favorite things" kind of post, but here are a few things that have found their way into my home over the last months that have delighted me . . .

I had a few Amazon gift cards to use (Swagbucks and I are still going strong!) and bought myself a little Mother's Day gift in book form:

I am in love with this cookbook--devoted entirely to delicious baked goods! So far I have only made the "Lovely Lemon Loaf," a lemon bread that is soaked in lemon simple syrup and then drizzled in lemon glaze, but it was awesome.

{yumminess}
 I see the Coconut Creme Pie making an appearance this weekend.  After reading it through I don't see how any of the recipes can be bad.  I also love the little baking hints at the beginning.  I know you are supposed to start with room temperature ingredients but I'm always in a rush--after reading their explanation I find myself being more intentional.  The kids and I have great plans to try a recipe every week this summer.  
~
This new bread pan--

I had been admiring similar ones in the King Arthur Flour catalog, and then found these for a bit cheaper (and no shipping) on Amazon.  Reviews said they are just like the King Arthur ones.  You have to hand-wash but they are AWESOME as far as "non-stick" goes.  I'm planning on getting a few more (and I'm eyeing other bake wear from this brand).  
~
This tea--
Okay, so I know the last time I mentioned tea I was going strong on my Bigelow "Vanilla Caramel" kick.  Then this tea entered the picture.  At first I was like "Yikes, that is strong!" But by the 2nd cup I think I was in love.  Reviews say it is a true English tea.  Having never been to England I can't vouch for that, but I must say after having it no other tea quite seems to measure up.  It is described as having a "maltiness" to it.  I had my mother-in-law try it and now she is ordering her tea from Amazon as well.  It is good stuff.  So, now it is on "Subscribe and Save" and being delivered to my home bi-monthly.  
~
And while we are on the topic--"Subscribe and Save" I love you!!!
We have slowly added more items to our Subscribe and Save shipment . . . toilet paper, cat food, tea, feminine products, dryer sheets, vanilla . . . Once you get five items in a shipment you save 20% off your entire order.  These things are already cheaper than the grocery store, and then with the extra 20% they are crazy cheap!  And we will never run out of toilet paper again!  I wish I had known about this when I had a house full of "littles"--it would have saved many a trip to the store for things we were low on.  Check it out if you haven't already!
~
This sweet book--
I'm going to assume everybody is familiar with this classic.  I used to own a copy but it was ruined many years ago and consequently I had never gotten around to reading it to the boys. So we remedied that situation a few days ago.  I had forgotten how much I loved it and how it is probably one of the most favorite books my mom read to us as kids.  I still love seeing the little house on its hill and how the seasons change around it . . . perhaps that is where my love of the seasons began? ;o)
~
And this cleaner--

(this is for a 6 pack of spray, hence the price)
I know I've mentioned my love of Mrs. Meyers before, and while the "lavender" still remains my most favorite I do find the "bluebell" nearly as appealing.  I don't know what an actual bluebell smells like, but this scent is light, fresh, and floral if that makes any sense.  I usually buy them directly from the Mrs. Meyers site--but only when I get an email for free shipping (Earth Day every year!!).  I think around Christmas time they had free shipping if you spent a certain amount (hence the reason I gave my mother and siblings "orange clove" cleaner sets for Christmas--that was a pretty good scent as well!).  And if you buy the "all-purpose cleaner" you can make your own counter-top spray--there is actually a recipe on the spray bottle!
~
Anyway, just a few things around my house right now that are bringing me delight.  And as an aside--a thank you to whoever used either one of my Amazon links or that little Amazon "store" on the side of my blog recently to enter Amazon and make a purchase.  I make a {very tiny} percentage of every sale that happens (as in, the 3 years I've been an "Amazon associate" I've earned ONE $10 gift card)--while it doesn't add up fast, it does add up eventually, and I love anything that helps fund my book habit. ;o)

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

Why have I never heard of "Subscribe and Save?" I'm going to check that out and see if it would be a good option.

Anna said...

Love Mrs. Meyers too (actually, YOU got me hooked on the lavendar!) and wow, didn't know about that extra 20% --score! Great tips, I love anything that saves me time shopping. :)

sarah j. said...

i love that house book. the art gets me. so pretty.

Brooke said...

I love Mrs. Meyers so I'll definitely be checking out "Bluebell" and The Little House is a favorite around here too. Thanks for the tea rec! I'm currently on Good Earth's "Sweet and Spicy" as it satisfies my sweet tooth almost as well as a Diet Coke. ALMOST. ;-)