Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Book Review: Bread & Wine

I chose this book to review because:
I like to cook.
I like to eat.
I had heard the book had some tasty recipes.

What I liked:
It was definitely a "yummy" read.  It made me hungry--over and over I wanted to stop reading and go try one of the recipes.  While I have yet to prepare one of the recipes I am looking forward to trying some new things.  I loved what the author had to say about food and how it connects us, how we can minister to others by sharing a meal together or by delivering a meal (or treat) to somebody going through a rough time.  I enjoyed the author's stories/reflections/etc on life in this regard.
What bothered me:
I suppose the title should have clued me in, as it is called Bread & Wine (I was thinking more along the lines of the communion analogy though).  But for a book to be put out by a Christian publisher I was a bit put off by all the mentioning of drinking, as if having alcohol available every time you entertain is conducive to a good time and connecting with others.  And I suppose somebody will probably think me being legalistic but I Corinthians 8:9 says:
"But take care that this liberty of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak."  It definitely isn't a book I'd want to hand to a recovering alcoholic.  If I had picked some random cookbook up off the shelf this wouldn't have bothered me so much, it was just the fact that Zondervan had published it--I wasn't expecting what I found.  I'm left a bit curious about her faith . . . she talks about officiating at weddings, as well as serving as a godmother for a Catholic friend . . . all things I found odd for somebody who I assumed was an evangelical Christian.

All that being said I enjoyed the book from the "foodie" side and I look forward to trying out some new recipes, but was left a bit perplexed on the spiritual side of things.

(Disclaimer--I received a free copy of this book through Booksneeze in exchange for my honest review.  I was not required to write a positive review or compensated in any other manner.  All opinions expressed are my own)

1 comment:

Anna said...

The booksneeze sounds like just the perfect gig for you, Janna! I love looking at cookbooks too...although I'm sure I'd agree with you on the alcohol part...somewhat confusing considering the publisher. More food, less booze. :)