Pages

Friday, January 18, 2013

Thinking on--

Oh Lance.
My heart is so sad for him.  I sat my kids down and told them his (now) cautionary tale.  How sin is a slippery slope, how sin makes you stupid.  How we chase after fame and riches and glory thinking one or all are the key to our happiness, thinking those things are going to fill the God-shaped hole inside. I think of that verse from Mark 8:36 "For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul?"  He claims he was trying to control every outcome, and me, someone who likes to micromanage her own little world, I get that.  Don't we all do that? He made himself his own god.  I think about King Nebuchadnezzar who admired himself and all he thought he had accomplished because of his own power. (see Daniel 4:28-37)  I think about how God stripped that away.  I think about how he came to acknowledge the one true God.  And I hope that God isn't done with Lance's story yet.  I hope this is just the beginning of the really cool part.  Sometimes God has to bring us to the absolute bottom before we can begin to seek Him.  Wouldn't that be awesome if that is what God is doing?  Wouldn't you some day love to hear Lance say along with Nebuchadnezzar, "I praise, exalt, and honor the King of heaven, for all His works are true, and His ways just, and He is able to humble those who walk in pride." If I was writing the story, oh is that how I would have it turn out!

2 comments:

sarah j. said...

wonderful thought! thanks janna.

Kathryn said...

This is good! Just came back to read it again. Thanks for sharing