Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The 2012 Reading Post

I know in past years I've posted my book list here at the end of the year, and well, this year I managed to read 83 books (more than double what I usually do!).  I'm not quite sure how I managed it, but as I've said I do a lot of reading when we travel (and we did a lot of traveling!).  Needless to say, I'm not going to type out all 83 titles for you (you can all sigh with relief).  But I did want to share my favorites, so, in no particular order:

An amazing story that everyone MUST read!
 ~ 

Another WWII story--such a thought-provoking ending

My first time reading this author--I really enjoyed her writing.

This story will make you cry a lot.

Based loosely on the missionary experiences of the author's grandparents

Because I'm forever fascinated by midwives and natural childbirth and love a story that accurately portrays what birth is like (probably not everyone's cup of tea . . .). ;o)
 
As I look over these top choices here is what I can tell you--some are christian fiction, some are not, but they all deal with life and hurt, and I think anymore, the books that I enjoy the most are the books that just feel real.  I like seeing how the story plays out, because aren't we all living our own stories, full of twists and turns, happiness and sadness?  And sometimes it is a book that gives me a fresh perspective--it helps me see how God is working out the twists and turns in my story for my good.  I read for enjoyment and entertainment, but I also read to "connect-the-dots."  I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I keep reading so I can keep learning.  Anyway, those are my top picks if you needs something to keep you busy during these cold months. ;o)  And I'm taking suggestions for the new year--any recommendations?

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

I love to see other's reading lists. You know I love that first book and have a enjoyed a couple of these thanks to your recommendations. I am working on my 2012 book list post so maybe you'll find some ideas on there.

Anna said...

Thanks for the great list, Janna! You and Kathy are inspiring me to read more...and I love your paragraph at the end. So true--I love how Psalm 139 says that "in Your book they were all written, the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them" (v. 16) Living our own God-ordained stories. Praying for your fam, Deary! Hope it's a GREAT week! *hugs*

Brooke said...

Yay! Love a good book list, just put a couple of your recs on my library hold list. :-) God sat me down next to another book lover this morning at Bible Study, how fun to be able to share how stories can refresh and teach us! And 83! Whooo-hooo!