Pages

Friday, December 28, 2012

My Rissy-girl . . .

On Tuesday, December 18th, after our big day of violin lessons, cookie decorating, etc. Marissa began limping.  Josh and I questioned her as to what she had done, but she could not think of anything.  I recalled the sibling "hurdling" the night before, and we figured she must have pulled something.  We did some warm baths, some ibuprofen, etc and assumed it would get better.  She kept telling me her leg was longer than the other one, and our thoughts were, "A leg just doesn't suddenly grow longer than the other!"

We traveled to Lincoln.  I mentioned it to my sister, and to my track coach brother (well, and pretty much anybody I came in contact with!).  We all thought the same, she must have pulled something.  So, we waited it out.  But by the evening of the 25th it still had not improved, and I had my sister-in-law (a nurse practitioner) look her over.  And yes, her leg did appear longer.  The next morning we had x-rays done of her hips.  Initially the doctor thought she had a slipped ephypsis, and if that diagnosis proved true she would be going in for hip surgery and a pin in her hip.  (world rocked a bit). 

But instead they called me the morning of the 27th to tell me she had scoliosis and needed a complete x-ray of her backbone.  At this point we have no idea--is it a bad case, is it a simple case?  I try not to go "there" in my head, because I have two weeks of waiting ahead of me.  And that my friends is an absolute eternity when you are awaiting to hear a diagnosis for your child. We will be heading back to Lincoln for a January 11th appointment with a pediatric orthopaedic.

I can't tell you how sad my heart is.  I hate seeing my very active daughter limping around.  I'm scared for what it means for her future.  And I just kind of beg inside, why couldn't it be me instead, I've already lived a lot, I would much rather it be me slowed down than her.  But at the same time I know how strong she is, I know she will take it all in stride, it's me who is the behind-doors-weepy-mess, not her.

So, as 2012 comes to a close and 2013 begins, I see our lives heading out into uncharted territory once again.  My sister reminded me that God is writing Marissa's story, just like He is writing each of ours.  We just have to run with it and know He is always doing His absolute best, working it out for our good.  That doesn't always take the hurt away, but I'm thankful for the "peace that surpasses all understanding" that He grants us when we need it.

I would consider it a huge blessing if you would pray for her.  Pray that it is a simple and easy fix.  Pray for acceptance in our hearts if it is not.

3 comments:

Becky Hansmeyer said...

Hi Janna! So sorry to hear about Marissa's back problems. I had a doctor say the same thing about me when I was little--that one of my legs was longer than the other and I would need staples or pins or something like that. I don't remember what happened (my mom could probably tell you), but I must have ended up feeling better. When I got into college I went to a chiropractor for the first time, and the back X-rays revealed that I have scolioses toward the bottom of my spine. The doc said he was amazed that I was walking normally...I guess I must have adapted to it? Anyway, don't lose hope -- I'll be praying for both of you!

Kathryn said...

I love you, friend and I *will* be praying! Hugs!

sarah j. said...

definitely praying for you guys!