Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

What goes well with a bag of tortilla chips?

Fact:  I could live off of tortilla chips and the various things you dip them into.
A bag of tortilla chips is hot commodity around here . . . probably right up there with milk, bread, and butter! Sad, but true. ;o)
And so I thought, heading into the weekend before the 4th, maybe you're looking for something new and tasty to serve?
First off, there is the "Black Bean Salsa" which I've made about seven times in the last few months--
Recipe for Black Bean Salsa:
2 cans black beans (drained)
1 12-oz bag of frozen corn (okay if it's still frozen when you are mixing it up)
1 purple onion, diced (typically I use 1/2-3/4 of the onion, just depends on how much onion flavor you want)
2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/8-1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
*Throw all that together in a bowl*
In a small bowl mix--
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar (although last time I accidentally used balsamic and I really didn't notice much difference)
4 Tbsp. lime juice
*Whisk that together and pour over the black bean mixture*
And then I kind of taste as I go . . . if I have a fresh lime handy I like to squeeze that over everything.  I also add up to a tsp. of sea salt.  I keep the bag of chips handy and test it out.  If I don't have a lime I still might add more lime juice.  The lime, salt, and cilantro are crucial flavors!! It's so good (and I like to think healthy?) and I totally love it as my lunch!  It'll keep in the fridge for several days.
~
And then there is a new one "Hot Corn Dip" that I've made twice in the last week or two. *ahem*
Lots of melty cheese goodness going on there.  It is a bit more rich--definitely don't make this just for yourself, make sure there are a bunch of people to share it with.  Otherwise, you will keep eating and eating and then realize you probably should have stopped about 17 chips ago. (not that I would know . . .) ;o)
Recipe for Hot Corn Dip found here.  Those chipotle peppers give it a nice smoky spice that I just love.  And even with the fresh veggies on top it still tastes pretty awesome reheated the 2nd day!
Yummy!  I think the leftovers from last night will be my lunch today . . . ;o)

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

I am *loving* that turquoise bowl that's showing up in pictures lately!!!!! I can relate to this post!!! I have a recipe for "Texas Caviar" that is a bean/corn "salsa"......almost always make myself sick by eating too much. :)

Natalie said...

The black bean salsa sounds delish. I'll have to give it a try!