Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Thinking on . . .

"Gentleness means we wholly rely on God rather than our own strength to defend ourselves against difficulty or injustice.  It stems from trust in God's goodness and control over the situation. Gentleness isn't self abasement.  It's the mark of the wise woman who remains calm even in the face of other people's shortcomings."

"Quiet describes an attitude of calmness, serenity, and tranquilty.  It's being settled, steadfast, and peaceful.  A quiet disposition is like a still, peaceful pool of water, as opposed to a churning, agitated whirlpool.  A quiet spirit is the opposite of an anxious, distressed, disorderly, and clamorous one."
I've been working through this Bible study this summer--
(where the quotes came from!)
I really loved the explanation of the gentle and quiet spirit that 1 Peter 3:4 talks about.  I found both quotes quite convicting (and loved when my favorite word "steadfast" popped up--whenever I see that word I think God means it just for me . . .). ;o)  Staying calm in the face of others' shortcomings?   I'm thinking God has given me a whole bunch of "others" right here in my own house to practice my gentleness on.  It could use some brushing up.  ;o)

1 comment:

Anna said...

Ooooh, I can't wait to dig into my copy of this! Love these quotes...what a great encouragement. And I love it that you light up at the word 'steadfast.' It sure was meant for you, Deary. :)