Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

A New Year . . . A New Word

As another year has closed and a new one begun, I find myself thinking towards a "theme word" again.  It's truly not something I do lightly or on whim . . . after all, the year I chose "joy" I found myself with a brain tumor, and last year, the year of "patience" found me moved to the middle of nowhere . . . God always takes these words and somehow they end up a central theme for me--usually in ways I hadn't imagined.  It has been suggested I find a word that seem more promising--like "prosperity" or "abundance" or something--but I just have a feeling if  I were to choose something like that I would find myself pregnant with triplets.

I've thought on and off about the word throughout December, but nothing was jumping out and singing to me.  I debated a "Patience-Part Two" year--truthfully I'll spend the rest of my life working at being a more patient person.  If anything, 2011 revealed how much I need to grow in that area.  For awhile I considered the word "abide."  The dictionary describes that word this way "1. to stand fast; remain; go on being 2. to stay; reside 3. to await 4. to submit to; put up with." And well, if you know me and my heart right now, you will understand why I identify with that word a lot.  But that word kind of depressed me--not that it isn't a lovely word, but after a year of patience I needed something with a bit more action (I think . . .).  ;o) And then I landed on it, a word that popped out of this verse:

Hebrews 10:24, 25
 . . . and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more, as you see the days draw near . . .

and it kind of whispered to me
ENCOURAGE
I like it for a number of reasons--
that I might be that kind of wife
that I might come alongside and encourage my children (not "guilt" them)
for here on my blog
(one of the reasons I started blogging was in hopes of being an encouragement to others in one way or another)
that I be that kind of friend, sister, daughter, etc.
as a reminder of all those who have gone out their ways to encourage me

A year focused on encouraging sounds so cheerful and happy, striving for words that are edifying to those around me.  I'm ready to dig in . . . I think. ;o)

3 comments:

Anna said...

EXCELLENT word choice, I really love this one! (And I for one have been and continue to be greatly encouraged by your blogging and mothering.) Yay for a fresh new year!

Brooke said...

What a wonderful word! And I second Anna in that your blog is always a little pick-me-up in my day, thank you for the encouragement!

Kathryn said...

GREAT word! It applies to SO many areas! And I "third" what A & B said.....love your blog and am often encouraged by it! (and I had to chuckle at your triplet idea for properity! ha!)