Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

2011--What I Read

The Talent Code by Daniel Coyle
Crazy Love by Francis Chan
Choosing to See by MaryBeth Chapman
Organized Simplicity by Tsh Oxenreider
The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder*
One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp
The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen
The Silent Governess by Julie Klassen
The Girl in the Gatehouse by Julie Klassen
The Blue Bottle Club by Penelope Stokes
The Shape of Mercy by Susan Meissner
A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers*
An Echo in the Darkness by Francine Rivers*
As Sure as the Dawn by Francine Rivers*
Leaving by Karen Kingsbury
Learning by Karen Kingsbury
Longing by Karen Kingsbury
The Ministry of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson
The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson*
Almost Forever by Deborah Raney
Paradise Valley by Dale Cramer
Song of the Lark by Willa Cather
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin*
Kilmeny of the Orchard by L.M. Montgomery
Give Them Grace by Elyse M. Fitzpatrick
The Rhythm of Family by Amanda Blake Soule
Rumors of Water by L.L. Barkat
Joseph by Terri L. Fivash
Emily of Deep Valley by Maud Hart Lovelace
(* denotes books I've read before)

My favorites?  As far as nonfiction goes One Thousand Gifts and Give Them Grace were two good ones . . . I think I will even be rereading One Thousand Gifts come January.  And of the fiction reads, the two I read in December are going to end up being my favorites, Joseph and Emily of Deep ValleyJoseph was a retelling of the biblical Joseph.  I think because I am at a place in my life right now where I wonder, "God, what are you doing?" I found myself identifying with the emotions Joseph may have experienced.  It was a good reminder that God's ways don't always make a lot of sense in the moment, but in the end He's got it all figured out.  Emily of Deep Valley had a similar theme, Emily and her classmates graduate high school and they all head off to college, she is left behind, caring for her grandfather.  At first she falls into despondency, but then slowly learns to make the most of her situation.  In the end she is just where she needed to be for growth and change to happen.  Another good reminder for me right now . . . 
~
I also managed to complete my first-ever Bible read through this past spring!  After a bit of New Testament "dabbling" here and there I began back at the beginning and am currently finishing up Nehemiah. 
~
And those are the reads for 2011 . . . I'm already compiling what I hope to get through in the new year (and may have gotten a head-start on a few!). ;o)

4 comments:

Mom said...

That's wonderful, Janna. Now, are you going to list Marissa's reads? :-)

Kathryn said...

Love these lists that are popping on in bloggy world! One of these days I plan on returning to my blog and doing a similar post.

Anna said...

Always love your book lists...I've gotten a lot of good tips from you. I'll be keeping this page open a bit to do some looking. TFS! :)

Brooke said...

Did you love "Kilmeny"? One of my favorites by L.M, have read it a few times. I am in the middle of "Give Them Grace", very encouraging and convicting at the same time. :-/ And Julie Klassen's new one just hit the library (I'm going to pick it up tomorrow) if you like her! Great list! Reading is the BEST... ;-)