Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Intentional Autumn . . . Favorite Soups!

Once September hits, the menu begins to change a bit.  More baking, less grilling, and a little something I like to call "Soup-er Saturday!!!" finds it way back into our week.  I really like soup!  To me, it is the ultimate cold-weather comfort food. And throw in some home-baked bread goodness, whether it be a bread bowl or a roll or a cornbread or a fresh loaf of "something" you have utter perfection on the meal-front. ;o)

So, a few of our favorites--

Chili (what I like to refer to as my "five-can" chili, or maybe "lazy" chili) ;o) but my kids LOVE it and would eat it every day for lunch if they could!)
--Around a pound of ground beef, browned (I keep already cooked ground beef frozen in one pound increments in my freezer AT ALL TIMES, it makes life so much easier!)
--Large can of either crushed or pureed tomatoes
--Can of Busch's "Honey" flavored baked beans (not the small can, but the tall one)
--Two cans of Busch's medium flavored chili beans
--Can of Rotel Tomatoes

Cook over medium heat on the stove or toss it all in the crock pot.  Serve with shredded cheddar and crushed tortilla chips.  It's a little bit spicy and a little bit sweet.  It isn't too bad mixed with melted Velveeta as a variation on the infamous Velveeta dip either.  It's good in a bread bowl.  It's good over a hot dog . . . really, quite versatile! ;o)


Baked Potato Soup
4 lg. potatoes
2/3 c. butter
2/3 c. flour
6 c. milk
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
4 green onions, chopped
12 slices bacon, cooked/crumbled
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
8 oz. sour cream

Wash potatoes and prick with a fork. Bake at 400 degrees for one hour or until done (or use your microwave method).  Let cool.  Cut lengthwise, scoop out pulp.  Loosely break up any large pieces into smaller chunks.  Set aside, discard skins.  Melt butter over low heat, add flour, stirring until smooth.  Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.  Gradually add milk.  Cook over medium heat, stirring until thick and bubbly.  Add potato pulp, salt, pepper, 2 T. of chopped green onions, 1/2 c. bacon and 1 c. of cheese.  Cook until thoroughly heated.  Stir in sour cream.  Add extra milk if necessary so soup is desired consistency.  Serve remaining onions, bacon, and cheddar cheese on the side as toppings.  I usually don't put any green onions in the soup because Josh doesn't like them, but just use them as a topping.  And word or warning, there is never enough bacon. ;o)

Creamy Tomato Soup
(What I like to call "grown-up tomato soup" . . . I love it, Josh would agree it has good flavor but is not a fan of the tomato or onion "chunks." Usually, I make a batch for myself and eat it for lunch all week long.  It would probably be really good with some cheese tortellini thrown in, but I've never done that).

1 med. onion, chopped
2 T. butter
2 cans (14 1/2 oz each) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cans (10 3/4 oz each) tomato soup, undiluted
1 1/2 c. milk (or a can of evaporated milk)
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. dried basil
1/4-1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (to your taste)
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, cubed

In a sauce pan, saute' onion in butter until tender. Stir in tomatoes, soup, milk, sugar, basil, cayenne, and garlic powder.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.  Stir in cream cheese until melted, serve immediately.

And a few more to link up--
Cheeseburger Soup--my mom and I have been making this ever since it appeared in Taste of Home for the first time.  It is awesome.

Chunky Taco Soup-- technically my soup isn't so "chunky" because I use ground beef instead of cubes of steak, but I still like the flavor.  We serve it with shredded cheddar, sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips.

Copy-cat Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup--Josh's absolute favorite.  Did you know he was a waiter at Chili's when we were dating and very part-time during our first year of marriage?  Lots of cheap dates there . . . and we had this often! ;o)


2 comments:

Kathryn said...

I was just with Kelly Sch. today and she *raved* about the chili you served for lunch! I'm going to go "pin you" right now. :)

Anna said...

Ooh, I'm really loving this inspiring variety! ..going to print recipes now. And my funny word ver.--supfo. As in, "sup fo suppah." YUM! TFS, Janna. :)