Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Intentional Autumn . . . Contentment

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;
But remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for."

I happened upon this quote a few weeks ago, and it's been rolling around in my mind ever since. It seems the last five or six years of my life have dealt with situations or circumstances where we would think, "If we can just get beyond this, it'll get better, once this is over . . ." 
And truthfully, I've been applying the same mantra to our most recent move . . . if I can just stick it our for awhile, put in my time, hopefully we'll get back to the area I really want to live in . . .
I forget, the place we're at now we spent THREE YEARS working toward!
Three years of crazy schedules, teeny tiny income, of Josh never home--it was just life.
In the midst of it you acclimate yourself and do it because it's just how it has to be done.
Now, I've had a bit of breathing room.
Josh leaves around 7:30 in the morning, pops in for lunch at 12:30, and then is home every day at 4:00.  We go places TOGETHER like to the park or the drugstore for an old-fashioned soda.  We eat supper as a family.  A peacefulness has settled upon our life.
I'm reminded that sometimes the things we hope for--the things we dream about--come wrapped up all different than we expect.  The pace of life we're living right now is one we had longed for and it's good and slow and lovely.
It's not perfect, but it's now.

3 comments:

Anna said...

Well-said Janna. And I love that quote. *SO* very glad for you all that you can have more 'family' life with Josh around more and not such a crazy pace. I was exhausted just thinking about your guys' schedule these past few years. :) Thanks for the encouragement, Deary!

Kathryn said...

Beautifully said!!!

Kris said...

This breathes beauty into my heart, Janna! So many seasons changing in our lives, and I'm thankful you have such a lovely one to be in right now- even if it looks different than imagined.