Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Happy 10th Marissa Grace!!!

One--
~ a carrot cake shaped like a pumpkin with leaf shaped sugar cookies~
*****
Two--
~a caramel apple cake, your double black eyes almost faded~
*****
Three--
~another caramel apple cake enjoyed by a flapper girl who minutes later was a ladybug~
*****
Four--
~a maple pumpkin torte eaten by Tinker Bell and her costumed posse'~
*****
Five--
~another maple pumpkin torte, note the shorn-off bangs~
*****
Six--
~some sort of  "fudgy pudgy" chocolate cake that leaned terribly~
*****
Seven--
~revisiting the carrot cake shaped like a pumpkin dressed as Cinderella of course~
*****
Eight--
~pumpkin pie and a toothless grin and tricky candles that weren't~
*****
Nine--
~layered to look like candy corn, a young lady beginning to emerge~
*****
And now for ten!!!
(which will be a cheesecake with salted caramel sauce, just as soon as I get it done) ;o)

In some ways I think "Ten, that's it?  Haven't you been part of my life forever??"  And the other part of me thinks, "Ten, how did this happen, aren't you still five??"

I love you because--
you have always been my sunshine
of your giggle
your love of blue like me and yellow because "it just looks so happy"
of your memory that borders on photographic
I have to tell you every three minutes to "put the book down" so we can complete a project
because you say things like "I can feel my gastroesophageal sphincter opening!"
of your incessant whistling that drives me crazy
because I give you the option to choose and you try to pick the thing that will make the most people happy
your hope that people think you weird
 you asked for a bow and arrow for your birthday
you write awesome stories about crazy stuff
and just for probably a million other reasons!

I have loved every single step of this "raising you" journey.  You are a joy!!!  I wish I could keep doing these ten years over and over and over ad infinitum.  We both know turning ten is big stuff, on one side childhood and on the other the growing up.  And we're both a bit sad about that.  But I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the glimpses of young lady I see in you and I am so very proud of you! 
Happy, happy 10th sweet girl, I hope you find this day extra special!!! 
(big smooches) ;o)



4 comments:

Mom said...

Happy Birthday, Rissy! Wow....1 (decade) already!
Love to you. (and also happy birthday to your Mom)!

Mom-in-law said...

Happy, Happy Birthday to you Marissa, a grandchild we adore and love and to your mother who has so blessed our family!

Anna said...

Oh I *LOVE* all these pictures! Especially of the two of you together, how sweet. This makes me tear up--the growing up of kids, what a mystery. Happy birthday to you AND your young lady on your hands...what a precious girl. Enjoy the day!

Kathryn said...

Fun, FUN pictures of you birthday girls and I loved seeing the ones of Marissa through the years. Sniff Sniff. Where does that time go?? Hope you both have a *special* day!!!