Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Summer Reading Tallies

Try as I might I couldn't get Isabella into reading this summer.  She did read the library's required 10 hours but once that was accomplished, she was through.  She tells me she'd rather sew.  And Josh keeps reminding me "go with their strengths."  So I didn't shove reading down her throat (much as I would have liked too). ;o) 
Isabella's Summer List:
By the Shores of Silver Lake by L. Ingalls Wilder
Elizabeth Gail and the Mystery at the Johnson Farm by H. Stahl
Marissa on the other hand, I--at times--had to order not to read. ;o)  She totaled 3,229 pages this summer (and that's just counting books with chapters . . . that girl reads ANYTHING with written word on it).  ;o)
Marissa's Summer List:
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by J. Verne
Five Children and It by E. Nesbit
Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Mysterious Handprints by D. Sobol
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by R. Dahl
The Enchanted Castle by E. Nesbit
Tales Before Tolkien compiled by D. Anderson
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm  by K.D. Wiggin
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Emily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery
Emily Climbs by L.M. Montgomery
The Gladiators of Capua by C. Lawrence
Peril and Peace by M. and B. Withrow

Her favorite book??  The Hobbit
One of these days I'm going to have to read some Tolkien and see what all the fuss is about. ;o)

5 comments:

Anna said...

WOW, Marissa! Way to go...and Isabella did well too. A good summer full of reading! :)

Cathy said...

Our girls are really similar! #2 spent hours at the sewing machine or on the needles all summer, and always balked when I told her to read. #1 on the other hand....? She's so drawn to the written word, she reads all the signs on store doors--often while I'm waiting on her to open them. :-) I have to keep reminding myself of that strengths thing, too.

Kathryn said...

Yay for summer reading! Marissa's list looks like what I would like mine to be if I didn't have to clean, grocery shop, cook, referee, do laundry, balance a check book, etc, etc. :) Did you amend your payment schedule from last year or do you owe Marissa some big bucks?? ;)

Kris said...

LOVE their reading choices! I find when I can finally convince mine to read classics, they feel sooo much more satisfied with that beautiful story than lots of the current "novelty" reads these days. Great job to your girls!

Brooke said...

My goodness Marissa! I remember the worst punishment I received as a kid was being grounded from books for 1 week. It was torture! (just in case she ever needs extra motivation ;)) Bella may come into a love for reading later...but for now sewing is a great creative outlet! Good job girls!