Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Cinnamon Roll Recipe

My mom and dad were able to stop in yesterday for lunch, after swinging up to Ainsworth to spend the weekend with my brother and his wife, they took a "scenic route" back home so they could stop by to visit us.  We had chili and cinnamon rolls . . . perhaps a bit premature for a warm September day, but it felt good to do some fall-inspired cooking. ;o)  My mom wanted my roll recipe, so I thought I would share it here (in the event you may be lacking a good cinnamon roll recipe).  These rolls are super soft, and I am going to venture the reason why is the butter and whole milk, so don't skimp. ;o)

~Cinnamon Rolls~
2 cups warm whole milk (105-110 degrees)
2 (1/4 oz) packages of active dry yeast (or 4 1/2 tsp)
1/2 cup sugar, divided
7-8 cups of bread flour, divided
1 TBSP of salt (although I probably use 1-2 tsp)
1 cup melted butter
2 large eggs
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
(1 cup finely chopped pecans if you like)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, softened to easy spreading consistency

1.  In a small bowl, combine warm milk, yeast, and 1/4 cup of sugar; let stand for 5 minutes.
2.  In a medium bowl, combine 5 cups bread flour, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and salt.
3.  In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine milk mixture, butter, and eggs.  Gradually add flour mixture to milk mixture, beating until smooth after each addition.  Beat in remaining flour to make a soft dough.  (I probably end up using right around 7 1/2 cups of flour . . . and I don't have a stand mixer, so I use my little handheld with beaters until it gets too tough and then knead the rest by hand).
4.  Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.  Place dough in a slightly greased bowl, turning dough to grease top.  Cover and let stand in a warm place.  (I usually preheat my oven for a minute or two and then turn it off and stick the dough in there).  Let rise for 1-1 1/2 hours.  Punch it down; cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
5.  Lightly grease 3 9-inch cake pans, set aside.
6.  In a small bowl combine brown sugar and cinnamon (pecans if you are using them).
7.  I spray my counter with cooking spray and spray my rolling pin and then roll out one enormous rectangle--somewhere in the vicinity of 12x30 inches.  Spread butter all over it and then sprinkle with your sugar/cinnamon mixture.  Roll up dough, starting at the long side, jelly-roll fashion, press edges to seal.  I use dental floss to divide my dough into thirds (slide the floss under and bring the edges up and around to meet and slice the dough), and then each segment I get 8 rolls out of.  Arrange 8 rolls per pan.  Cover and let rise in a warm place for an hour or until rolls have doubled in size.
8.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Bake rolls for about 25 minutes or until lightly browned.  Let cool in pans for five minutes.

For frosting--
Either invert your rolls on a serving platter and frost them with "Cinnamon Cream Cheese Icing" (3 oz cream cheese, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1 cup confectioners' sugar, 3 TBSP whole milk) or keep them in the pan and drown them in the "Pioneer Woman's" frosting (which is what I do about 99% of the time--LOVE the flavor of the coffee and maple in the frosting).  I can usually cut that recipe in half and have more than enough for my three pans of rolls.  (You'll have to scroll all the way down that link to find the ingredient list for the frosting). 

Enjoy!! ;o)

6 comments:

Kari McGrew said...

Now I am drooling over your post!! YUM! Can't wait to try your recipe! Thinking of you guys and lifting you up in prayer!

Mom said...

Thanks. I don't know if mine will turn out as good as yours....after all, Bella says you're the best cook in the world!!! But I'll try. Had a great time visiting and seeing your new home.

Anna said...

My mouth literally started watering at the thought of these yummy delights. And way to go, awesome mother-of-5-who-just moved her entire household and unpacked everything in a couple of days...to be already baking something so grand. You are my heroine.

Kathryn said...

Wow! YUM!!! I'll have to give these a try! Isn't it wonderful that moms and dads are willing to take the "scenic route"?? :) Hugs!

Kris said...

mmmmm- makes me wish all of mine could have dairy! I may have to try this one on the side sometime- maybe even attempt it with rice milk, but I'm sure it won't come close to as tasty!

Kari M. said...

So...I followed the link and used Pioneer Woman's roll recipe and the maple frosting!! WOW! Worth every minute in the kitchen! So yummy!! Thanks so much for sharing! I love her note about possibly being the "jiggliest" neighbor if you hide in the pantry and eat them all yourself. I am for sure guilty of that (-=