Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

July!!?!

The year is half over.  That is just crazy.  The 4th is obviously right around the corner and I thought I would share a few of our little weekend plans--

1.  We'll be making those awesome fireworks cookies that were featured on the cover of the Martha Stewart Living magazine (although cutting a few corners with some sparkly red and blue frosting that comes in a tube).

2.  I'm going to quick whip up these cute little bandanna tunic shirts for my girls and nieces.  Talk about cheap!  Bandannas (two per shirt) are regularly $0.99 at Hobby Lobby and the grosgrain ribbon is half off through Saturday.  I did decide to finish off the armholes with binding tape (which I still need to go after).  They should be a fun way to show off some patriotic flair. ;o)  Too bad they don't make grown-up sized bandannas . . .

3.  Revisiting our patriotic floats from last year.

4.  And maybe a cheesecake if I'm feeling spry.

5.  Hoping to photograph my kids in the ripened wheat fields.  I meant to do this last year, but had the idea too late.  I need to move on that this weekend.

6.  And most likely doing up some BBQ'd pork.  Josh has been requesting it.  And I must say if you've never put cole slaw on it, you don't know what you're missing (although Josh prefers his with slices of dill pickle).  I think I have perfected my recipe . . . and it's really easy if you've never done it!  You need: A Boston Butt Roast (such a funny name), a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's (I think I used the brown sugar and hickory), and a crockpot.  Stick your roast in the crockpot covered in half the bottle of sauce and cook it for 8 to 10 hours on low.  Remove and shred with a fork. Mix in a bit of your cooking juices and then add as much sauce straight from the bottle until you reach your desired level of sloppiness. ;o)  DELICIOUS!

Have a wonderful weekend!! And stay safe too!

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

I'm home from vacation and you know what that means.....catch up on blogs and then head to the grocery store! :) And I'm so glad to have done it in that order because now I'm adding Boston Butt Roast (I don't dare tell my boys the name of it! haha) and a bottle of Sweet Baby Rays to my grocery list. This sounds SO good and just so perfect for a 4th of July weekend!! Thanks for sharing! Do you make your own coleslaw...cause I need to know how to do that, too! :)

Anna said...

You always find great ideas & inspiration...I so LOVE the bandana dress idea! And the cookies are just beautiful. Have a fun & festive fourth! Enjoy that BBQ pork. ;)