Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Trusting . . .

Josh and I have spent the last week or so checking out the teaching positions that are opening up across Nebraska.  At this point there is nothing in our area listed.  And so we throw around town names and use map.quest to find where they are.  Could he commute?  Would we have to move?  Are gas prices going to shoot to the sky?  And in this time we've seen one listing taken down, leaving us reeling--that was crazy fast!!!--and I must admit, it makes me nervous.  We're hopeful that there will be more opportunities coming up--we've seen nothing at this point from the Lincoln and Omaha areas--but at the same time we realize we may need to widen our search and just take whatever offer he can get. 

Here's what I know . . . I've been praying about this time, the perfect job for Josh, for two years now.
And we've got this tidy little plan--Josh finds something within commuting distance of where we currently live (we were giving him up to an hour commute), we keep renting, and then the summer of 2012 we start looking for a house.  It's a good plan.  A plan that enables our life to stay predictable, keep family and conveniences and church and violin teachers (and Hobby Lobby and libraries--you know, the important stuff) ;o) all easily accessible. 

But a few days ago it hit me--
1) God has the perfect plan, will I trust Him or will I interfere (as in "No, Josh don't apply there . . . that's more than an hour away!!!")?
2) I was looking at all these little towns wondering what they could possibly offer my family, how would my life be inconvenienced, instead of wondering how could God use me--my family in a small little town somewhere.
3) It's easy to "pad" our lives, but when we step out of our comfort zones we get to see God better at work and we learn to rely more on Him--instead of patting ourselves on the back for a well-played strategic move.

Proverbs 16:9--The mind of man plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps.

And so Josh is going to apply for jobs all over.  We'll see what God does.  I'm going to try my hardest to not worry about all the stuff I want to worry about and just "go with the flow"--a hard thing indeed for someone who is a perpetual planner.  And I humbly request your prayer too, that God would go before and we would be sensitive to where He would lead us.  Most of all that Josh would JUST FIND A JOB.  A teacher in his Saturday class was commenting on what slim-pickings it was this year.  Obviously we have no idea what a "good hiring year" would look like, but we would really like this year to be such a year. ;o)  In the meantime, it looks like I'll be getting my "trusting muscles" in better shape, which I know from past experiences is not my most favorite kind of exercise. ;o)  I'm just thankful I have a God in charge who does not make mistakes.  That definitely takes the pressure off of us!  We'll wait and see what he does . . .

5 comments:

Nicole said...

From a teacher's background, let me offer some tidbits that I am aware of. A lot of districts do not do much hiring until the late spring/summer months; therefore, just because you don't see postings doesn't mean they aren't accepting applications. In fact, many big districts post only on their specific websites and take applications all the time. Truthfully, he will most likely have the most "luck" in the district he is student teaching in. If he is able to get that teacher to write him an actual letter of recommendation to include in his application materials, they would be a great benefit. I will be praying for your family and for your willingness to trust (it's a bit of a weakness for me as well when I know that I'd like my plans to align with His!).

Carolyn said...

Waiting, trusting, knowing that God's plan is always perfect. Walking by faith and not by sight. This is something that as a Christian never just happens.......you are doing just what HE wants you to do, "saying, Yes, Lord!" It's your heart attitude and it sounds like you are seeking HIS Will. I will pray for you and Josh in these next months as you WAIT UPON HIM to DIRECT your PATH. Carolyn
P.S. Have Kathy share how she got her teaching job, it was HIS perfect timing not hers!

Tiff said...

We need to chat! You sound like me, 5 years ago when Bill started applying for principal's positions...I mean, you sound exactly like me. You're right...God is in control and makes it very clear what His plan is!

Mike and Kirsten said...

Josh should check out NM...he would get hired and start his job in the same day. They are in desperate need of teachers. And NM is an amazing place to live!

Anna said...

Oh, I've been thinking of you guys and praying for this important decision!! ..I'm praying that it would be obvious which route you are to take (of which I hope is in Lincoln!) But as you said, the Lord does not make mistakes...thanks for keeping us updated!