Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

Lazy Mom Phonics

I'm not sure if I am the last person in the world to learn of the Leap Frog DVDs, but in the event I'm not, I had to put a plug in for them.  This DVD is awesome!
I had seen a few glowing reviews on different blogs and I have to agree--it might be my favorite educational DVD!  Within a few days' time all of the hit/miss lessons I have done with Jackson over the last year have been completely solidified by this DVD. He now knows all the sounds.  And to top it off he's really excited about letters and wants to write them all the time. 
It has also gotten Emmett interested and he has learned many sounds too.  He'll just spontaneously come up and tell me "F says ffff!"
I checked at the library and they have the follow-up DVD (I believe it's called "Word Whammer") which will show how the letters stick together to make words.  And there's a 3rd DVD that teaches about silent E and other hard-to-get concepts. 
Overall, I'm not a big tv fan but I do let my boys watch 30-40 minutes every morning (so I can start my day with a bit of peach and quiet).  I can't tell you how delighted I am to find something for them to watch that  they enjoy AND will sneakily teach them to read. We all win. ;o)

4 comments:

Cathy said...

Your title made me laugh! We love Letter Factory. I haven't ever looked into the next two. You'll have to let us know what you think of them.

Kathryn said...

YAY!!! Glad you got some encouragement this week!

I just went and put a request on that Word Whammer video and was #2 in line. Are you #1??? :)

Anna said...

Oh my goodness, this is PERFECT! I was just feeling bad a few minutes ago that I didn't devote as much time to Calvin's learning--he's totally ready to pick up more of this. GREAT tip, as always! :)

Anna said...

...and look at their writing, they're doing SO well!!