Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

Books, Books, Books

Favorite fiction read of 2010--
This was one of those hard-to-put-down books and gave great insight into life in the South and how much I've taken for granted being "white."
~
Favorite Non-fiction read of 2010--
LOVED this book on hospitality--it was hugely motivating and encouraging and I will probably read it again this year.
~

Currently in my reading pile--
This one was a recommendation from my teacher/coach of a brother and it has been a fascinating read.  The premise behind the book--there really is no such thing as a "prodigy"--people get to be masters of whatever skill by good old-fashioned hard work.  He gives many examples of people we think of as "great" and how they got to be that way. It has given me much to think about as I strive to motivate my own kids to work hard (which has lately consisted of lecturing . . .). 
~


I'm only a few chapters into this one, so I'm not really "digging" it yet but I kept coming across this book on other people's "favorites" lists so I thought I'd give it a whirl.  This is a trilogy, so my plan is to read all three.
~

I've purposely NOT read this book just because it was talked about endlessly and I don't like to jump on bandwagons.  But I've decided to see what it's all about--I got it from the library, but I need to finish the other two before I start it. ;o)
~

And once those are read, a book I'm planning on rereading--
It's one of my favorite "mothering" books and one I return to nearly yearly--particularly when I'm in need of inspiration and feeling like I've lost my "vision."  Like in the middle of winter. ;o)

So, there you have it, my book basket for the next month (ish). ;o)  Anybody know of any other good reads I'm missing out on?

4 comments:

Mike and Kirsten said...

Loved 'The Help' ~ one of my favorite books I've read. You should get on goodreads.com (yes, another social network site) but you can see what your "friends" are reading and read reviews of different books you're considering reading...and you can track what you have read and what you want to read. I need to get reading more books ~ I think I average about one a month, which is pretty pitiful. I need to dedicate more time to reading and less to TV watching!!! :) Happy New Year!

Kathryn said...

The Help left me pretty much worthless for a few days. Could. Not. Stop. Reading.

I love your reading lists!

I read "The Shape of Mercy" and really liked it!
http://www.amazon.com/Shape-Mercy-Novel-Susan-Meissner/dp/1400074568

Anna said...

Ooh, I'm always giddy to find out more of your great picks ..and, WOW. I don't know when you have time to read, but I'm really inspired that you get so much done! ..will make a note of some of these for myself, I need to get back into the habit.

Wendy said...

Hello Janna,
thanks for stopping by and sharing my experience! It's so good to know that I'm not the only one having so much fun! Thanks for the book reviews. I'll have to check some of them out.

Have a beautiful day!