Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Christmas Tradition

A long, long time ago--1999--Josh and I were engaged and for Christmas that year I got him a children's book, The Legend of the Candy Cane.  (I'm sure he thought I was a weirdo).  But so began a tradition that every year a new Christmas book is added to our collection.  On the inside cover I write the year and the members of our family, make a notation if it was a first Christmas for someone, etc.  These books are SpEcIaL.  They come out with the Christmas decorations and then get stored away the remainder of the year.  Each year I look for a book that tells the story of Jesus's birth in some way, shape or form.  I thought I'd give you a sneak peak at this year's book:



It arrived in the mail today.  And what is cool about this one?  It's the ACTUAL King James version scripture account with pictures.  We'll open this one Christmas morning and read it during our "birthday party breakfast."  What began as a small little pile of books will this year be a full dozen!  And would you believe The Legend of the Candy Cane remains a resounding favorite?  Mainly because it's about a candy store with corresponding pictures.  Go figure. ;o)

2 comments:

Anna said...

I LOVE this tradition! I'm loving all your fun traditions and am starting to adopt a lot of them. :) Thanks for sharing, what a great idea.

Kathryn said...

What a wonderful tradition. I remember you standing up in Titus Tuesday years ago and sharing this idea. I think you were on book 1 or 2 about then. LOVE this idea and I'm sure it will be a treasure for your kids...more and more special the older they get!