Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

My Magnificent Wife

Attending UNL for a degree in Business Finance, a young woman in the college group at church caught my attention. This woman who I had seen here and there during my childhood at church functions and music activities suddenly and surprisingly caught my attention one night at church. I was intrigued by her secret beauty and shyness. “What an amazing young woman," I thought to myself that night and ever since, and wondered why I hadn’t seen it before. As our relationship grew from friendship to engagement, people often asked me how I knew she was the right one. My answer was simple. Every girl I dated, I dated because there was a characteristic that I liked in each one of them, but with Janna it’s like having all those characteristics that I liked found in just one girl. She amazed me and captivated me with her passion for people and her love for music, running, and most of all pigs. After one year and one day from our first date we were married shortly after my twenty-first birthday. Too young? Perhaps, but I was not going to let this one get away. After ten years of marriage, a few problems, and many blessings later, she still never ceases to amaze me. With ten months left to go before I have two undergraduate degrees, a teaching certificate, and two classes short of a master’s degree, I still believe my most brilliant achievement was my ability to be able to persuade my wife to marry me. If ever there was someone to challenge me and not settle for less than great it is my wife. Over the years she has created lasting impressions on my mind and my spirit which has made me a better person and for that, I thank her. When I need someone to listen to me, even about financial ammonization tables or scientific jargon, she is there. In fact, I can say that one of the best hearing aids a man can have is an attentive wife. I can go on and on about my magnificent wife, but I wanted to save room for the person whom I consider to be the mother of the year.


If caring for a husband who is gone often for studying, attending classes, or working is not enough, Janna takes on five needy children, cooking, cleaning, violin instructor, teacher, chauffeur, and mother. Understanding that it is impossible to be the greatest at all of these, she manages very well at accomplishing these tasks just short of greatness. As she strives for perfection she is often worried that she is not doing enough. How do you tell your wife that she is taking on more by herself than most people can even comprehend. “ No man succeeds without a good woman behind him. Wife or mother, if it is both, he is twice blessed indeed.” ~ Harold Macmillan. So Janna, I just wanted everyone to know you are a very important person in my life and the many lives around you. Like Proverbs 31:10 says, “An excellent wife, who can find? For her worth is far above jewels.” We might not have a ton of money, but I feel like the richest man in the world, being married to you. I have seen you reach contentment in the small things in life and I look forward to bringing you as much joy into your life that I can. You are my encourager, confidant, and my best friend. May you continue in your pursuit of a steadfast life as we explore God's plan for us together.
 
From your adoring husband,
Josh
 
P.S. hopefully you are still a magnificent wife after realizing that I posted this on your blog without your knowledge :)

5 comments:

Janna said...

Thanks Joshie--now I understand why you forgot to put dinner in the oven when I asked.

I'll let it slide . . . just this time. ;o)

*Note to self--change password*

;o)

Kathryn said...

Awwww! What a sweet "hijack" It's been a blessing to get to know your beautiful wife. I can see why you consider yourself blessed by the Lord! She's a treasure!

Anna said...

Oh, this is so sweet! ..I definately see these amazing traits in your sweet Janna too. Praise the Lord for bringing you together and growing your beautiful family as you are seeking Him and His plan for your lives.

..and really, is there anyone who WOULDN'T be enraptured by hearing about financial ammonization tables?

Josh said...

I know Anna ... I'm not sure why she is only partly interested!

Mike and Kirsten said...

Super great post Josh!

Janna - Sorry for the delay in responding to your post on my blog...yes, I love my sideswepped bangs. I've had this style for quite sometime and I like it but I also don't necessarily like exposing my forehead so that may be why I like it.
Also - Sealing our fence entails painting a clear coat on each panel...it was not enjoyable at all!!
Hope your new potential hair adventure goes well. :) Hopefully I'll see you in November for the Hansmeyer gathering?? :)