Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

Collecting

I shall remember the deeds of the Lord;
Surely I will remember Thy wonders of old.
I will meditate on all Thy work,
And muse on Thy deeds.
Psalm 77:11-12


Today is one of my "remembering days." Four years ago today I had an MRI done on my head. That afternoon I sat in a chair by the window wondering at the conversations I had with the MRI tech, asking me if I had experienced any hearing loss in my right ear, encouraging me to contact my doctor if I didn't hear from him within the next day. I knew they had found something wrong. While sitting there, my phone rang and it was the doctor's office. You know the saying, "no news is good news" . . . Well, this would be one of those times that saying rings true. The nurse on the other end of the phone says "We found what appears to be a benign brain tumor . . ." and sets up an appointment for me to meet with a neurologist. The hours that ensued afterward were not pretty. I thought benign was good, but they said "appears to be" were they just saying that because they weren't going to tell me over the phone I had a malignant one? I was devastated. I wondered if a year from now my kids would have a mom. By God's grace, my endocrinologist just "happened" to call. She could tell I sounded upset and asked what was wrong. I told her. She took it upon herself to check into everything and called me back. And her words, "It's going to be a pain in the butt but you're not going anywhere. Keep loving on those kids." This phone call gave Josh and I huge relief. And so began a journey that would lead to surgery two months later.

I count this day as one in my "collection"--special days where I saw God working, changing me, giving me a miracle. He could have given me brain cancer and sent me on an entirely different journey. But he gave me a simple tumor, truly I think one of the best brain tumors to have (if you're going to get your choice and all) ;o) I collect these days in the way a coin collector collects coins. They come in different shapes, different metals, you turn them over and around in your hand, study them, each one meaning and worth something different. "Diagnosis Day" is one in that collection, a day I pull out sometimes, feel its weight in my hand, study the details, and am left thanking God for bringing me to it AND bringing me through it.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Love this post, Janna. It's real. It's life. His mercies are new every morning. Amen!

Anna said...

What an encouragement to hear you talk about remembering this special day...I especially love your 'coin collection' picture...got me thinking about the worth and value of a day. Praise God for His perfect plan!

Kathy said...

Beautifully written! Love the verse you shared!