Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Word of the Year--2010

I thought about my new word off and on throughout December. I thought about how fast 2009 had went for me, how fast the pregnancy had gone, and how busy life had gotten. And while busy can be good--I would rather be busy than bored--I got into a bad habit of just hitting the ground running each morning. Consequently, I find myself running on empty quite often. And while it can look like I am accomplishing much, the few things that are "necessary" (see Luke 10:42) seem to get crowded out by all the business. So, this year I am on a quest for:
STILLNESS
With a new little baby that needs to eat often there are already times of stillness being added to my day. I want to use these times to "sit at Jesus' feet." I want to be aware of other times of stillness and quiet to meet Him in prayer. I want to make sure the activities our family participates in are absolutely necessary. I want our home environment to be peaceful, simple, and pleasant--not so rushed and hurried, jumping from one activity to the next. There are lots of distractions going on here. ;o) I want to see my quiet time become a much more regular thing, I want to make sure I'm taking time to do the things my kids want to do--stopping to read a book instead of saying we'll do it later and then forgetting. I realize how fleeting this parenting thing is--it seems like we'll have them home forever, but I realized a few days ago that by the time another decade passes Marissa will be graduating high school. I can't slow down time, but I can make choices to be more PRESENT in the time I am given. So,"stillness"--my theme for this year. What's yours?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Janna, You said it so beautifully! Peacefulness is a wonderful word to meditate upon and to live out in 2010. Running a home with 5 little ones will be a challenge but your strength will come from the Lord and HE will not fail you!
My word for the year is gratitude! In every circumstance that comes my way, I can choose to respond in one of two ways---I can whine or I can worship. And I can't worship without giving thanks. I know I will face many challenges but just like you I have a Savior that will not fail me and I must set my sight upon HIM. Blessings to you, Carolyn

Anonymous said...

OH, I just noticed your word is stillness---well it's sort of like peacefulness, isn't it?! If you are still, you will be peaceful, too!

I don't leave comments very often and then when I do, I mess up---humbleness, another great word! lol Carolyn

Anna said...

Great goals, Janna! I'm also feeling like the years are flying by...thanks for the encouragement to be STILL.