Pages

Friday, December 4, 2009

Make-a-Memory #4

"Rolled Butter Cookies"Approximately 5 dozen cookies were cut out this morning. There may be a few missing. ;o) We took turns, me doing the rolling, them one-at-a-time picking what they wanted to cut. It was a bit chaotic and I always have to work on my tendency toward perfectionism when it comes to stuff like this--you know, not panicking over overlapping shapes, fingerprints, stretched out star appendages . . . Stuff like that. It's all about the joy of doing it, right? Not making them worthy of a picture in a magazine. ;o)
The recipe I have always used belonged to my great-grandmother, my Massachusetts' Granny's mom. I never knew her, but she made good cookies, and I enjoy the fact that my kids are a 5th generation using this recipe. I'm guessing most of you have your own cookie recipe, but if you are looking for a tasty one that make nice, crisp cookies, here's the one we use. Enjoy!
Rolled Butter Cookies from the kitchen of Granny Dugroo
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar
5 cups of flour (scant)
Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, milk and vanilla to the creamed mixture, beat until smooth. Mix flour, tartar, soda together and add to liquids. You should have a stiff dough. Roll thin--between 1/8 to 1/4 inch thickness--on a floured surface. Cut with cookie cutters. Bake in 375 degree oven for 8 minutes, or just slightly brown around the edges. Cool on baking racks.
I still have another halved recipe of dough sitting in my fridge to bake into snowflake shapes this afternoon. We're also decorating cookies in my Girls of Grace class Sunday night. Looks like I should have a pretty tasty weekend. ;o)

No comments: