Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Make-a-Memory #2

"Cinnamon Dough Ornaments"
What you need:
1 cup of cinnamon
1 cup of applesauce
1/4 cup of Elmer's glue
Mix it altogether and roll it out between wax paper. Cut away! Use a drinking straw (or in my case a pen you took apart) to cut little holes for wire or string or whatever you are going to hang it with. Let dry for a few days or bake in a 200 degree oven for 2 hours. We went with the oven.
A few helpful hints--the recipe I followed said to roll it to about a half inch in thickness. That seemed excessive to me, so I didn't. But after they dried I remembered why I should have followed directions--the thinner you roll them the more apt they are to develop cracks on the surface. Which many of mine have now. ;o) Also, if you end up with some rough edges (after they have dried) use a bit of sand paper or a nail file to make them smooth again. Oh, and right now Tar.get's dollar section has a great mini Christmas cookie cutter set for $2.50. Perfect for this, or play dough, or I suppose baking cookies too. ;o) Jackson was the only one who tried to sneak a nibble. Twice. The second bite wasn't anymore tasty than the first. :oP We're planning to hang most of them on our tree, but the stars I left "holeless" because I thought they would tuck into a bowl really well:
And the house smells wonderful!!!


2 comments:

Anna said...

LOVE this, how sweet to have their handprints...and the pinecones are beautiful! ..can't wait to see the rest of them!

cheryl said...

Hi Janna..this is the first time I've peeked into your blog...but I'm looking forward to reading more! LOVE this idea! I used to make these ornaments when the kids were little, but I think I need to revisit this idea with the designs you've shown! SO CUTE and love the way you tucked those stars in your trencher with the pinecones! DARLING!