Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2009

"My" Month

~a break in the sky today~
October's Bright Blue Weather
by Helen Hunt Jackson
O sun and skies and clouds of June
And flowers of June together,
Ye cannot rival for one hour
October's bright blue weather;
When loud the bumblebee makes haste,
Belated, thriftless vagrant,
And goldenrod is dying fast,
And lanes with grapes are fragrant;
When gentians roll their fringes tight,
To save them for the morning,
And chestnuts fall from satin burs
Without a sound of warning;
When on the ground red apples lie
In piles like jewels shining,
And redder still on old stone walls
Are leaves of woodbine twining;
When all the lovely wayside things
Their white-winged seeds are sowing,
And in the fields, still green and fair,
Late aftermaths are growing;
When springs run low, and on the brooks
In idle, golden freighting,
Bright leaves sink noiseless in the hush
Of woods, for winter waiting;
When comrades seek sweet country haunt
By twos and twos together,
And count like misers hour by hour
October's bright blue weather.
O sun and skies and flowers of June,
Count all your boast together,
Love loveth best of all the year
October's bright blue weather.
I'm not sure if it's because my birthday falls in this month, but October is my favorite month of all. Each day is just a joy to discover what changed, the foliage colors, the pine cones and acorns falling, the corn drying . . . It gives me a bit of a thrill. Each year it's like experiencing it all over again for the first time. The full harvest moon is this Sunday--the 4th--my favorite full moon. ;o) (I edited, originally when I looked it up I thought it said on Saturday, but maybe I was looking at the wrong year)And here's a little bit of trivia I'm sure you were aching to know, but the full harvest moon is the full moon that falls closest to the fall equinox. Usually it winds up being in September, and we won't have another one in October until 2017!!! So enjoy. ;o) (And yes, every full moon has a name, September's was the "full corn moon" but you'll have to goo.gle it if you want to know more.)
So happy October . . . pumpkins, hot cider, cozy blankets, combine rides, and lots and lots of soup . . . sheer bliss.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Mmmm..I'm totally craving soup now that you mentioned it. :) Love the poem and your words too about this beautiful month--I'm enjoying it a lot too...what a nice blustery windy Fall day today!