Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

Happy 8th Marissa Grace!!!

You were due October 20, 2001, and while I knew there was a possibility you could be born on my birthday I didn't really think that would happen. And when my contractions began the evening of October 17th I assumed you would be born sometime the next day, on the 18th. But nope, you decided to hold out, finally making an appearance at 10:13 pm, the evening of MY 22nd birthday, and well, now it was your birthday too. I had waited my whole life for that moment. My dream as far back as I can remember was to be a mommy. And you made that dream officially come true.

I adored you. You were beautiful, amazing, and of course the very smartest baby that EVER existed. ;o) (me and you--one month old)

I loved staying home with you. I loved being a mommy. You were my pal in everything I did, a constant companion. Around three months old I began to read you books. By the time you were eight months you were "un-booking" my shelves on a daily basis. At ten months you said your first word "doggie" and you haven't stopped talking since. ;o) I can still here that first word, I still remember that sound of your first giggle. Some things you just don't forget.
You were a thumb-sucker and loved to feel your special yellow blankie with your fingers. You named your blankie "blank" and for the longest time Daddy and I spoke in blanket code, there was "blank" and "green blank" and "big blank" and it seemed a perfectly normal way to speak.

Those times seem forever ago. I can't believe you're eight--I remember being eight myself--and it's crazy to think I have a daughter THAT old. But you are a joy to me. You're everything I ever hoped you'd be. You have a thirst for knowledge that amazes me and I love that I can have almost-adult conversations with you. I love seeing you up a tree or immersed in a book. I love your zest for life and adventure. I love that you don't fit a mold, one moment a poet, the next obsessed with recycling, the next a determined athlete, the next sewing . . . You just are you, with a million different interests and a need to know about everything. You are a huge help to me at home in so many little ways. We have our battles of course, but I hope you always know how incredible you are to me, how proud I am of you. Eight years with you has been a blessing indeed. Keep your heart for Jesus.

Love you forever my Rissy girl.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

It's always good to have a nice morning cry. Well, at least that's what I'm saying after reading your last 2 posts! WOW! Thanks for sharing these amazing birthday writings and giving me a glimpse at your heart that I have come to know & appreciate more over the last year as well as a glimpse in to the life of your special girl. I didn't realize you shared a birthday! What a special thing for you 2! ENJOY THE BIG DAY!!!!! Hope it's filled with wonderful things and a GIGANTIC shopping spree to Aunt Patty's Attic---well, at least you can wish big on your birthday, right??? :)

Anna said...

I love, love, LOVE this! So sweet, and a very sweet girl..happy birthdays to both of you!!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that you and Marissa shared a birthday. How very, VERY special!

Tiffany said...

OK...the last message is from me...not idea why it said anonymous!