Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Jackson-isms

Because I haven't shared any good Jackson stories in awhile, I thought I would update you, beginning with a break-through we have had, smiling AND looking at the camera at the SAME TIME: Okay, so the smile is a bit cheesy, but it's better than the PAINED "CHEEEEESE!" expressions I've been getting for over a year now (and sorry the picture is a bit blurry, there was a fingerprint across my lens I discovered after the fact).
And also FINALLY I have a child who likes dolls. Ever since the ultrasound Jackson and his "baby brother" who (whom?) ;o) he likes to call "Alvin" have been spending a lot of time together. In fact, every night he makes sure Alvin is tucked in right next to him. I think it's sweet, and not quite as disturbing as the few days he was pregnant with Alvin. Lucky for him, HIS pregnancy was a short-lived affair. And no, Alvin is not a name we are considering, and I have no idea where he got it from.
A picture for Papa Roy--never mind the fact that it was I who drew the train--every color carefully thought out and handed to me. He returned a few minutes later to show me what he had added to the picture and low and behold, take a look at this:
Those look like letters to me! I asked him what they were. The first one he remembered right off, "That's an O!" The next one--with some prodding from me--he remembered "Eh," the sound the E makes. And the third I was certain would be either an a, b, d, or p. I remembered both the girls starting out that way, drawing the "stick" in the wrong direction.
"That's a sting ray."
Hmmm, not quite what I was hoping for, but I see it. Overall, it's just incredibly exciting that he is drawing stuff. It took him FOREVER.
Also, after subbing for his teachers in his Sunday School on Sunday, Jackson informed us, "I miss Dan and Sara." I laughed, because I figured we threw his schedule all awry by being in his class, but he went on to say, "I NEEEEEEED them!" Poor kid.
Just a few things "in the moment" with Jackson right now that are making me smile/laugh/shake my head in bemused delight. Oh, and did I mention what an awesome tattling voice he has honed? "Mo-om Emmett's not sleeping!" "Mo-om Emmett is stinky!" "Mo-om Emmett's crying!" Can you just hear it in your head? He's good, really good. ;o)

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I hear the "Mo-om" just perfectly....sounds just like my home. :) This is a cute post. Loved reading all about what Jackson is up too and I couldn't help but notice the 'lack' of destructo stories. Yay!! Baby Alvin is pretty sweet and I had to chuckle over your comments about his short pregnancy and the name he chose for his baby! Funny!

Anna said...

This is so cute! Looks like he's coming a long way with drawing letters and smiling at the camera...loved this posting.