Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Morning has Broken . . .

After a really good lesson on self control at ladies Bible study yesterday, I set out this morning to make some changes--changes, that I've actually been contemplating for awhile, you know those little thoughts that nag you deep down "You need to do this . . . " or "You should be doing this . . ." And for whatever reason, you ignore those thoughts, because usually it means, more work, more effort, or greater inconvenience on your own part. You know, THOSE THOUGHTS? (Hopefully, I'm not the only one . . .) ;o) But as of lately, my conviction has been that I need to be setting my alarm each morning, blocking out an hour for exercise and personal Bible study. If I don't do these things first thing, they just never happen. The day always gets way too busy and I push things aside. And it's not that I'm lazing in bed all morning long--"sleeping-in" is 7:30 around these parts, but I let the kids dictate my morning usually, and then things "get away" from me.

So, this morning, I set the alarm for 6:00 a.m. Which really is not that awful of a time. I get up at 5:30 on Sundays (and those days sometimes just hurt!!), so that is a whole half hour of sleep more. Doable I think. And of course this morning, Jackson gets up at 5:30. Somehow he always knows my plans and sets out to foil them! But I was able to work around that. And I am so glad I did.

If you have never gotten yourself out for an early morning walk/run you just have to try it. It's beautiful (of course, this, coming from an admittedly morning person). The air is cooler, the slant of light perfect, the birds singing cheerfully. I love to be out by myself at this time. I have always liked to use my walking/running time to pray. It is so very refreshing and just what I need. It always makes me grateful for the mercies of a brand new, sparkling day. As a mommy, I desperately need those times of quiet and beauty to recharge myself for the challenges of another day.

So, here I am "DAY ONE." I'm off to a good start--just hoping I'll have the discipline to see my change through. ;o) But I'm issuing a challenge--what is it that you have a feeling you should be or need to be doing? What are you waiting for? Seize the day!!! ;o)

4 comments:

Kathy said...

I am CONVINCED that my boys know when I get up 'early' and then they set their internal alarms accordingly. I'm ashamed to say there have been times when I've been in the midst of a great quiet time only to grunt....or yell...in frustration at the pitter patter of little boy feet coming down the hallway. :{ It will be neat to see how the Lord uses this 'new discipline' in your heart and life!

Anna said...

Very encouraging, Janna! Thanks for sharing, let us know how it goes. I love the quiet of a beautiful morning out alone to exercise.

Janna said...

Kathy--I'm so glad to know I am not the only one with little boys (and it's always the boys, not my girls) who seem to have a sense about them that I'm on the move! I am baffled at times--trying to be as quiet as possible, no lights visible, etc. And they ALWAYS wake up, no matter what the time is that I have gotten up. Definitely a head scratcher!

Kris said...

My friend/neighbor just shared a book w/ me yesterday called "shopping for time" by Carolyn Mahaney...which encourages EXACTLY what you've set out to do. I'm equally convicted about the need to put this into practice again after several years away from early morning rising for time with Jesus and keeping my body fit.
Thanks for sharing!