Pages

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Whole Bunch of Sickies

A few weeks ago I gleefully remarked to several people how excited I was that after our bout of December ear infections we had remained healthy the rest of the winter. Since spring had arrived I assumed I was home free. *doing one of those nifty little Mary Poppins heel click dances* Unfortunately, I was wrong. Emmett began it all last week with his double ear infection. Jackson soon followed with massive nasal drainage and a croup-like cough, and by the weekend Marissa had the same sounding kind of cough, then Josh got it. In the meantime, Emmett's antibitotics appeared to be doing no good, and his cold-like symptoms worsened. Sunday night brought Isabella complaining of throat pain. Yesterday afternoon, I toted them all to the doctor. I'm feeling great by the way--no signs of anything so far. Ever since I had my tonsils out (9 years ago) I think I have had to be on antibiotics once. I really think that has kept me much healthier.

So, the diagnosis: Emmett had to be bumped up to a stronger antibiotic--for some reason the pink amoxicillan NEVER clears up the ear infections for him. I was going to say something to the doctor when he prescribed that for him last week, but I figured he knew what he was doing. Jackson had one-going-on two ear infections, Isabella has some swollen glands and was tested for strep, but so far just seems to have a cold, and Marissa has an ear filling with fluid, which up until that point wasn't bothering her much. Of course, within an hour of leaving the doctor it starts to hurt, and bothered her all through the night, even causing her to dry-heave at one point. ( Oh, and Mom, if you're reading this you can tell Papa Roy I believe she "throws up like a Hansmeyer." ;oP) We will see what today brings, but I wonder if I'm going to have to have the ear looked at again.

So, we skipped school yesterday, and naptime, since that was when we were at the doctor. As early evening rolled in, our house was not the most pleasant place to be. We watched some back-to-back "Between the Lions" videos we had checked out of the library, a Pooh video, and perhaps a Veggie Tale thrown in for good measure. There's nothing like a TV watching marathon to put them all in a semi-comatose state. :oP I had them all in bed by 7:15. Although Jackson was quick to point out that "It's not dark Dad!" I was actually planning on just getting him to bed, but we had to stage a whole mock bedtime routine, involving his sisters, prayer, lullaby, and me "throwing him into bed like a baby" (don't ask) in order to convince him it was bedtime. Still, I think it threw off his whole routine. Everything must run like clockwork for that boy.

It looks like we will be stuck at home for yet another day--maybe by tomorrow the girls will be feeling up to Awana. Perhaps I will get a chance to escape at some point for some fabric store therapy, but most likely not. ;o) I'm sure I can find SOMETHING to do while stuck at home . . .

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Oh, Janna. Your poor babies! We have colds here, but nothing compared to what's going around your house!

Anna said...

Oh my goodness, what a rough week for you all! Hope the antibiotics work quickly, and hope the rest of the bunch gets healthy quick. Praying that it happens sooner than later! Just think about the warmer weather around the corner and basking in the Spring sunshine mucous and ear infection-free. ;)

Kathy said...

Where's that chai latte when you NEED it??!!! Praying for you.....

Janna said...

Ha, ha Kathy--wouldn't you know I have been out of chai here at home for the last few days! Josh made a special store run tonight just for me. ;o)

Mom said...

Papa Roy says he feels bad for Marissa. Praying for healthy days ahead.