Pages

Friday, March 13, 2009

Let's Talk Fashion

So, tell me, what exactly does a seven year old girl wear? I just got back from what would best be described as "casing" out the stores, and I'm a bit perplexed. The young girls' sizes go from 4-6x, and Marissa is just on the cusp of outgrowing 6x. When I look at the older girl stuff, which ranges in size from 7-14, I'm going to admit it, I'm mostly turned off. I don't do trendy and I don't do pop icons. I have a problem with clothes that look like something I might consider if it were in my size. I want Marissa to still look like a GIRL. I just don't like the idea of my seven year old trying to appear 16 or 21 . . . Call me old-fashioned. ;o) And I know there are options out there. I know the Carter's Outlet off the interstate has nice things for older girls, as well as Landsend. The problem is, that all adds up in terms of $$$ pretty quickly. I think Marissa is just caught in the middle of a very awkward "dressing age." I don't want to dress her like she's a toddler, but I still want to keep her a young girl a bit longer--without making her stand-out or look too babyish of course. ;o) It looks like my sewing machine maybe seeing more action than I was planning on this spring. And of course there will be garage sales once it gets warm. But does anyone have any other suggestions for me, keeping in mind I'm not working with a whole lot of $$$? Are there any other stores out there that think preserving childhood a bit longer is a good thing? ;o)

4 comments:

Kathy said...

This is a tough one. My sister has faced the same thing with her girls. I think she has had some luck at JCPenn.ey.

Anna said...

Ooh I feel your pain...I don't think I have any good suggestions since I haven't shopped that size before..maybe you could try looking at one of those secondhand places. I haven't scoped these places out much (besides Once.Upon.A.Child where I'm a regular) but I know there are other family consignment type shops in town...let me know what you find out! That's great you know how to sew.

Kris said...

Iris G.has always passed on WONDERFUL hand-me-downs to Caroline that she's found at Good.will stores in Lincoln, I think she makes a regular circuit of stopping in and getting neat finds. She always seems to find good quality brands and modest, young girl styles (and, of course we've always appreciated the hand-me-downs while we were there in NE!)

Nicole said...

While i don't have my own children- I do shop for a 7 year old. I have found the cutest girly clothes at Target, Gymboree and Children's Place. Good Luck with your search.