Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Encouraging Kids to Read

Back in December I mentioned my new shelf Josh built for me for Christmas, its goal to showcase books for the kids (and eventually some nature finds). It was a brilliant idea-- even if I do say so myself. ;o) The books used to congregate in a crate, and the kids would sift through them, pulling out a book here and there to read. Sadly, the vast majority of books we would check out would go unnoticed. Now, the books are looked at on a daily basis--at least! There's something about being able to see a book's cover that just appeals to a person, you know? I cycle the books in and out, when I notice the interest has died down I put out some new ones to display. It works great. Right now we have a whole bunch of spring books, books about maple sugaring, and books about baby animals on display. My next book round-up will probably have a lot to do with gardening and nature. That way we stay mindful and excited about what is happening out in the natural world. I have also heard about people who hang white vinyl gutters on the walls of their kids' room as a way to display books covers out. It sounds kind of strange, but looks really neat believe it or not. I'm sure if you goo.gle it you'll find pictures somewhere. ;o) I've been meaning to do this for the boys' room. Anyway, all this to say, if you have a lot of books that are feeling neglected, put 'em on display. In my opinion, books make great decorations . . . ;o)

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Love that shelf painted green and what a great idea to display the books. A lot of our library books are chosen b/c they are on display somehow and the cover catches our eye.

Anna said...

What a cute idea!! The shelf is GORGEOUS, and what a great thing for them to notice books to pick up and read...practical and beautiful! :)

Jill said...

You are such an inspiration, Janna. I love reading your blog...it gives me such great ideas and makes me want to be a better mother.