Pages

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Aspiring Cooks

Lately, my girls' interest in cooking has turned up a notch. I have often included them in my baking activities, and apparently they have decided that now is a good time to branch off on their own. Marissa has written her own recipe, for "Sugur Brownei Cake": And twice now I have found them in the kitchen concocting something, although unfortunately it's been unedible (well, in my opinion). ;o) They--of course-- think putting sugar in anything makes what they are cooking fantastic.
In spite of the messes and *ahem* waste of ingredients I am thrilled with their interest. I am thinking they may be ready to attempt some box mixes on their own. I can't remember how old I was when I started baking by myself. I just remember my desire to be a "pioneer woman." And I was motivated by the fact my own grandma started cooking when she was a girl. I wanted to be a good cook like her. Of course, I had some flops--like "Dishwater Potato Soup" that my dad likes to remind me of often (in my defense the recipe did not SAY to drain the water from the potatoes after boiling them . . .) But that's how you learn right? ;o) Anyway, just wanted to know you are all invited for a DOLLOP of the "Sugur Brownei Cake" which I would describe as kind of runny, grainy, and with a strong flour flavor. They wanted to bake it, but I had a bad feeling about how it would turn out. So they improvised, and alternately froze and refridgerated it. Yummy. ;o)

4 comments:

Brooke said...

This is so cute! Zach and I made some rather interesting "cakes" growing up, fun memories. I recommend no-bake oatmeal cookies, delicious and not dangerous. :)

Anna said...

How sweet that they are so interested already! It's a great thing to learn EARLY in life...I'm one who didn't learn till our first year of marriage... and Andy had to endure some pretty nasty dishes. :)

Kathy said...

Cute!

Mom said...

Dad said you forgot to include your
"Blue Rock Biscuits" to go along with your DWP soup!!!!