Pages

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Whatever is Lovely

I am sitting here tonight with a nice hot cup of tea--lightly sweetened and with a dash of milk (my eastcoast-raised mother trained me well) contemplating the concept of living a beautiful life. I will define living a beautiful life as the ability to take notice of the beauty in simplicity--to find joy in the mundane. I was considering this as I went through my day of cleaning--bathrooms, mopping floors, laundry, and just the general restoring of order, particularly to places that have been overlooked lately. I was struck by several things, first the joy and peacefulness found in order. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive or brilliant. It can just be clean and homey, and that makes you feel good. Second, the joy and beauty found in doing the simple tasks that take care of my family. I was kneading dough this afternoon (to become rolls for supper)--with my hands sunk into the warm, soft dough and a fresh yeasty smell enveloping me, and I couldn't help but think how much I loved doing this simple task--and many others like it. What a blessing it is to be the one at home creating a pleasant (I hope!) atmosphere for all of our memory-making to take place in. There is a joy to be found in shining something up, folding a neat stack, smelling something fresh-baked . . . Taking care of a home is truly a labor of love, day in and day out. I know without a doubt there is no other place I would rather be--living simply, but in a beautiful, inspired, and intentional way.
"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things."
Philippians 4:8
I love that verse. So, what around your home is delighting you and bringing you joy right now? Slow down and savor.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

You inspire me, dear. We really need to get together!!! I didn't ever respond to your e-mail awhile back, but I so appreciated your insight. You're right, there are strengths and weaknesses in every part of motherhood. Finding balance is difficult, isn't it?
Your last post made me think. I like that!

Anna said...

Janna, you are such an encouragement! This is a great outlook and a great verse to have handy. A happy heart and a good attitude is so pleasing to the Lord...I'm afraid I fail in this department quite often lately. But I heartily agree about the good of finding beauty in the mundane. ..now I feel like I need to go 'restore some order' in our house! :)