Pages

Thursday, January 1, 2009

My Word for the Year

So, I am sure all of you out there have been waiting on the edge of your seats wondering what "word" I was going to pick for my 2009 theme. And I am sure some of you probably had suggestions about what you thought I needed to work on--and wisely refrained from sharing them. ;o) After careful thought, I am choosing the very first word that popped into my head, the word I kept going back to . . .



KINDNESS


Why kindness you ask? My first reason is this--lately I have noticed the tone of my voice, particularly at home, has a tendency to sound annoyed, frustrated, and utterly disgusted. When I go downstairs and find my entire canister of powdered sugar dumped on the table and overflowing to the carpet, and my baby rolled in it, kindness does not leap to my tongue. I find myself distraught--and put out. The thing is, I don't want my kids to remember me as some frazzled mommy. I want them to see me as a joyful and loving one. And obviously, I set the tone. How do Marissa and Isabella respond when (inevitably) those pesky little brothers destroy something of theirs? Unfortunately, time and time again I have been humbled (in a not-so-good way) by nastiness they could have only learned from the best. So my goal--kind words that build up and not tear down.

However, kindness goes beyond what comes out of my mouth. It also extends to my thoughts and actions. I need to be better at extending grace to others in my thoughts, and not so quick to judge another's actions. I need my own actions to be more selfless, loving, and done for the good of others. So many times I will think of something I should do for someone else, and then never act on it, missing the opportunity to show kindness.
I am applying my word to the kids too, I've even got a nifty little slogan "Be kind in 2009" to get us all motivated to watch our thoughts, words, and actions. ;o) We'll keep each other accountable. Which I am sure will once again be very humbling (in a not-so-good way) ;o) for me.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Janna, this is a great......convicting.....post! I have a little wood sign that simply says, 'Kindness.' When I first got it, it really helped me to remember but now it's kind of become another knick-knack that gets dusted. I'm thinking this post will help to bring it back to the forefront of my thoughts and prayers and I may just have to move that little sign to a more prominent place in the house.

Thanks for sharing so honestly because you have encouraged my heart.....I am not alone in the struggles of being a mom who is irritated and snippy instead of acting in love and kindness as the Lord commands. As I pray for my own heart in this area, I will pray for you as well!!!

Candace C said...

Janna, I love your motto for 2009! :) And all you have said about kindnes, I could have said about myself. I'm anxious to see all God teaches us this year through these words!

Candace