Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2009

My Thrilling Evening

I thought perhaps I might be able to make it a week without mentioning a little boy who happens to be three. Unfortunately, that is not the case. You know some parents hope to raise successful children, smart children, athletic children. Currently my goal, as far as Jackson is concerned, is keeping him alive and intact.

We were wrapping up bath and shower time tonight and I had sent the girls into my bathroom to begin brushing their hair. I believe Isabella was in there first. I was in my bedroom (adjacent mind you) puttering around. Jackson was flitting about. I tell you all of this because I don't want you to think I am a terrible mother who doesn't pay attention to what her children are doing . . . ;o) I was RIGHT there, as seems to be the case in many of my situations. Suddenly Marissa lets loose with a frantic,"squealy" type of sound and comes running for me. It's a sound I know too well. I brace myself for what I'm about to discover:
Jackson, on the bathroom counter.
Naked.
A plugged in flat iron.
Running water.
Jackson holding the plugged in flat iron under the running water.
Oh, and there were some piles of pumped out hand lotion too.
Horrified doesn't even begin to describe what I felt. Praise the Lord!!! it was plugged into a GFCI outlet. Seriously, what kind of kid does this? I have had a few run-ins with him plugging things in that he shouldn't, but to plug something in and then decide, "Hey, let's stick it under running water!" What ever is going on in his head? It took me a good hour to calm down from the huge rush of adrenaline.
But all is well. Jackson is tucked into bed and sleeping peacefully. My flat iron still works, and all the lotion will wipe up easily. And I made it through one more day, Jackson alive and intact.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Praising the Lord with you that Jackson is safe!

Tiffany said...

Seriously, Janna! We need to get our boys together...or maybe not. They may just kill each other! I'm sure they'd be "best buds" though. I'm so glad to know that another mom is going through some of the same things!