Pages

Monday, January 19, 2009

Being a Big Boy

Since Jackson officially got down the potty training thing late last spring it has been smooth sailing. He has been very independent about it. He will race in, strip off the bottom half of his clothing and hop on the toilet, sitting backwards. But lately, the whole stripping off of the clothing has gotten kind of old. A few months ago, while I was paying for groceries at Wal-Mart, he took off in a run for the bathroom. Wouldn't you know he went straight into the men's. So, I stand out there waiting for him. He finishes up and walks out, wearing only his shirt, and hands me the rest of his clothing. I hurriedly redressed him in the middle of the aisle. And really, anytime he needs to go to the bathroom anywhere it's tricky. You see, the whole sitting backwards thing REQUIRES you to be sans pants. Lately, I've been coaching him on how he should stand up to go potty--like a big boy, you know.

And today he did it! Twice!

Only one small problem . . . he still thinks he must be naked. He came to me asking to have his shirt removed, and I thought he wanted to change. He then quickly takes off his shoes, socks, pants, and underwear. We're talking really naked. ;o) He heads into the bathroom and quite proudly demonstrates what a big boy he is. And I'm left scratching my head as to how I can convince him it's okay to keep our clothes on. In case any of you were wondering why it seems the majority of my "Jackson pictures" showcase a naked or partially naked child this should hopefully answer that question. It gets rather wearisome to coninue to redress him all day long.
So we're making progress . . . I think. ;o)

2 comments:

Anna said...

Oh my goodness I absolutely LOVE your blog, Janna! Still can't believe I didn't know about it. All of your postings make me laugh...and you have so many funny stories! Hang in there, you are a super mom and a godly woman. It'll be fun to keep in touch and check in on all the "activities" that your kiddos are up to! :)

Kathy said...

boys, boys, boys!!! Can you believe I still make my boys sit so I don't have to clean the bathroom after they 'hose' it down???