Pages

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Marissa the Author

I would have to say for the most part, reading and writing have come to Marissa fairly easy. However, in spite of this fact, she is NOT an eager reader or writer. Her common complaint is that "It takes too long!" Even when she has to write 3 to 4 sentences I am met with "grumbliness". And this has saddened the reader/writer in me, because (of course!) we all want our children to be little extensions of ourselves . . . ;o) To my credit I have not pushed the issue. She is still required to do her schoolwork, but if all she wants to read are the Barbie and My Little Pony books she gets at the library, so be it. At least she's reading, right? And writing of stories has usually been done by her drawing the pictures and then dictating for me what she wants it to say (and then reading over my shoulder and correcting the mistakes I made . . .hmf!). ;o) That was until the day of the fuzzy purple notebook and equally fuzzy pen:
This little notebook was a gift from a friend at church, and now suddenly Marissa cannot write enough. For two days now every free moment has been WRITING, stories about pumpkins and ants, snow princesses, and candy-loving frogs, interspersed with diary antidotes, like "My brothers are crasy (crazy)." Yes, the spelling is not the greatest, and there are a lot of run on sentences going on, but I am so thrilled. Apparently it's all about the notebook. Which is a good reminder to me--in the end it's about meeting them where they are at, even if it means they do their writing in an obnoxiously furry "thing". ;o)

No comments: