Pages

Friday, December 5, 2008

Breakfast Suppers

Perhaps I am strange, but sometimes, (almost weekly) I make breakfast for supper. It may be one of my favorite suppers! The kids enjoy it too, although Josh, not so much. (Which is why we reserve our special supper for a night when he will be working late). When I think back to my own childhood, my mom did this on occasion too. I remember her Swedish pancakes at night as well as omelets. Breakfast foods are pretty tasty, but truth be told, I am just not able to accomplish a full out breakfast in the morning. Last year I read Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder to the girls and found myself in shock and awe at what Almanzo's mom made for breakfast (and every other meal for that matter!). That is not happening here. (Sometimes just the fact I must feed my children three meals each day is overwhelming . . . and I like to cook!) Tonight was a more simple meal of Belgium waffles and yogurt (we're fighting off a tummy bug). Last week in honor of getting our Christmas tree set up we "picnic breakfasted" around our lit up tree--cheesy scrambled eggs, cranberry muffins, bacon, and vanilla spice eggnog. YUMMY!! I wish I could have that every night! Of course, by the time our meal was over a plate had been broken, eggnog spilt, and there were crumbs of muffins and eggs everywhere! If there is one thing motherhood has taught me, it is that making memories isn't always going to be convenient, and most often it is quite messy. I think we may have stumbled upon a new tradition. (Anytime you can work breakfast foods into a tradition it is a good day . . .). ;o)

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Yummy. We love a good breakfast supper around here, too!!! And guess what book we're reading right now? Farmer Boy!! I am marveling at the breakfasts each morning too. Luke was especially impressed that Almanzo got to eat apple pie at bkfast. :)